Thursday, May 22, 2008

Peach Study


This is a fast gouache study for a new still life I want to try, but I think I'm going to change the composition a little for the final painting. The bottle is still too central for my liking and the background too warm. Move everything a little to the right, cool down the background and it'll look much better. ( I hope.) I was using the golden section to determine the proportions, or trying to anyway. I need more practice with that, I think. It took about 90 minutes to paint, and it'll help to determine the final picture that I want to do in oil. If I ever get it all working together, I think it'll be a nice painting.
The problem with using fresh fruit is that it never stays fresh for long, and I don't always want to work that fast. On the other hand, it was really tasty. Next time I'll bake a shortcake to go with it.

No comments:

Its Spring!

I found these in a garden center, nestled in the Astilbe.